In June I spoke at a High School Graduation and shared 10 lessons I have learned in my 10 post high school years. I promised the graduates that they would see them again. Today, I am mailing this to their homes. I posted this back in June, but it stands being looked at again. These are good lessons to consider.
10 Life Lessons in 10 Years
- The local church is the hope for our broken world. Find one get involved and help them make it happen. Over 40 commands in the Bible are very difficult to fulfill if you are not a part of a church. They need you and you need them!
- Show me your friends and I will show you your future. Who they are is who you will become. I know it is tempting to think of friendships as projects….the problem is…they will win—not you.
- Present yourself as you want to be treated. If you want to be treated like a woman, dress like one. If you want to be treated like a man, wear your hair and your pants like one! If you want to be treated like an intelligent adult, talk like one (speak English). If you want to be treated like a professional, behave like one.
- It is more important that you love who you marry than that you marry who you love! I am not saying don’t love who you marry…..I am saying that I am NOT SURE WE REALLY KNOW WHAT LOVE IS until we have loved the same person unconditionally for many years. That is why our divorce rate is what it is! Americans marry who they think they are in love with, but they are not in love. Then, they fail to love who they married. Remember this young people…..Love is not discovered on accident, but chosen on purpose. Love is defined best with the word—INTEGRITY! Not emotion, goose bumps, romance, or passionate sex. And…you do not know someone is your soul mate in 3 weeks.
- Have kids that are a blessing not a burden….God values life too much for you to create one that is a burden. Be responsible with your sexuality. Better yet, be biblical!
- Treat the Internet as a tool, not a God. Ours is a fast paced, get it now culture. Slow down! Be cautious! Just because you can click on it does not mean you need it!! That applies to purchases, pornography, relationships, gaming, surfing, etc.
- It pays to Discover you cannot afford a relationship with VISA. Credit Card application are on there way! RIP THEM UP! Save what you DO HAVE, don’t spend what you DON’T HAVE! Don’t talk yourself into believing that you need or deserve something at the expense of your future.
- Frequently ask “the best question ever”!! That question what is "what is the wise thing to do"? In light of my past, in light of my current circumstance, in light of my future hopes and dreams, my finances, my family, my time ... what is the wise thing to do? I am convinced that we talk ourselves into believing in unwise decisions all the time! This might change is we start asking the best question ever! Do the RIGHT THING, not the EASY THING! The easy thing is for weak people! Doing the right thing takes a champion!
- God's purpose and dreams for your life are 13.2 billion light years away from yours! Isaiah 55:8-9 states: "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” There are known “heavens” that are 13.2 billion light years from the earth. Graduates, GOD HAS A WAY BIGGER DREAM AND PURPOSE FOR YOUR LIFE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE!!! 13.2 billion light years bigger!
- The place that you let Jesus Christ take in your life will determine the place that your life takes you! Give him first place! Give him first dibs on your dreams, your talents, your time, your attention and your heart!