I meet more fake people than I do real people. Let me explain. I interact mainly with Christians (not proud of this, but it's true). And I have come to discover that in general, Christians are not good at being vulnerable. I think it’s mainly because we have so many expectations for perfection…that we would have our act together. So we put on a front and hide the real us.
This morning I was thinking about real people. By real I mean:
- What you see is who they are
They can be so refreshing to be around. But as wonderful as that is, they are some other less pleasant realities of real people. They are often…
- REALly messy when they share their issues openly
- REALly disruptive to the status quo
- REALly wound your pride when they tell the truth
- REALly difficult to work with
- REALly annoying when they say things you'd rather stay covered up
- REALly threatening to power seeking leaders
- REALly unable to go with the flow without questioning things
Real people are rare and precious...and I think it's partly because most of us can't handle them.