I am burdened for marriages!! This is a burden that has been strongly increasing in the last 1-2 months. My heart is heavier than it has ever been for them. The number of marriages under attack at CCF right now is higher than it has ever been (or at least higher than we have ever been aware of). "I'm in the middle of a divorce" seems to roll off of people's tongues as easy as "I subbed my toe." This breaks my heart and troubles my spirit!
While we were at the Drive Conference 2 weeks ago, we heard a man share about his burden for marriages. He said this:
- In the 80's every church needed a youth ministry to be a thriving church with a future.
- In the 90's it become popular that every church needed a thriving children's ministry to be a successful church.
Then, he made this point:
- We can have the most amazing youth and children's ministry under the sun, but if Mom and Dad are a wreck and the home is falling apart, it will not mount to a hill of beans!
- This proves the thing we always hear: The church cannot raise and disciple your kids, they can only assist YOU in doing it. Home will matter more than church any day of the week!
Look, let me just put it out there. In just our (small) church, I am currently aware of more than 10 marriages in big trouble. Then there are all the people that would never tell us anything and keep it hidden. Then, add to that all the people that have been impacted by divorces that have already happened! Run all that math, and I am willing to venture to say that way more than half of Capital Christian Fellowship has been stung by the pain of marital attack and divorce. That is an epidemic issue, folks! I am seeing this through some very different lenses these days.
I am not the kind of guy to sit and do nothing. We must act! I'm racking my brain, hitting my knees and asking God what he wants us to do!! Some of the things that I am considering and praying about for us as a community are:
- Increase awareness among the body. (this blog post is a step)
- More Teaching and Preaching on God's design for healthy marriages.
- Perhaps launching a Small Group for people who need marital restoration.
- Fasting for marriages!
- Intense and devoted prayer for marriages!
- Married Life Live event on May 30th at 8pm! (This is AN initiative, not THE answer)
- Professional Christian Counseling referrals made available.
- Intense marriage healing events suggested.
Some fights are won with one stone (David vs. Goliath). Others require an arsenal. I see this battle as one that "...is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Eph. 6:12)
I have thrown out some thoughts here and some possible tactics for engaging this. I am really in the middle of seeking the Lord on this!! What are your thoughts? What is in your heart? What may the Lord be saying to you on this? Please join me in this conversation. Leave a comment.