Maybe it was this recent political season, but I have been noticing expressions of diversity abounding all around. People and things that you would have never seen next to each other are now becoming accepted and even common. As a Pastor of a diverse congregation, I am always looking at expressions of diversity and trying to learn from them. As I was watching the Grammy Awards, I noticed crazy amounts of diversity in people singing together that just break the norm. Examples:
- Al Green singing with Justin Timberlake (20's singing with 60's)
- 4 Hip Hop artists on same stage together which is a BIG deal
- Stevie Wonder and the Jonas Brothers (black and white)
- Cold Play and Jay-z (rock and rap)
- Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift (pop/rock and country)
- Adele and Sugarland (European and American)
- Many, many more...
It just seems that the separating lines and dividing walls are breaking down more and more. Not sure what to do with that, but I think that it needs to be leveraged for the glory of God. So, how can we? What can we do to take this shift in our culture and leverage it for God? Ideas? Please leave a comment. Seeking to shape this as a "kingdom responder" to cultural realities.
(Tim Stevens would be proud of me...author of "Pop Goes the Church" that I posted about here.)