Psalm 27 has been a blessing to my spirit recently. It is a powerful Psalm that addresses fear from many angles. I strongly encourage you to click here and read Psalm 27 and then engage a few of the thoughts below.
- If we don't master fear, fear will master us!
- The causes of fear...fear most often comes from:
- The make up of our personality (temperament)
- A bad life experience (psychological)
- Parents, family and culture (environment)
- Disobedience and lack of faith (spiritual)
- Fear most often manifests itself through our uncertainty about the future, our regret about the past, or our inadequacies concerning the present.
- In this Psalm, David is basically saying this...
- The LORD is your light, your saving grace and your strength in all things...Live with that conviction at your core, and fear is going to begin to leave you! (verse 1)
- Enemies, wars, and struggles will rise against you. Even then, be confident in your conquest knowing that the LORD is your light, your salvation and your strength..not YOU! (verse 2-3)
- David is telling us that we need to put our confidence and hope in who God is, what God has done and what God will do!! When we learn to do this, fear won't reside in us. Our problem is that we are trusting ourselves too much (and not God)! (verse 7-14)
Psalm 27:4 says "One thing I have desired from the Lord, that I will seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in His temple!"