Marks of healthy church culture (first for the ones that are more commonly mentioned and expected):
- Biblical. Church culture clearly communicates a focus on scripture in teaching, preaching, programs, ministries and living!
- Christ-centered. Jesus is known as the center and builder of the church. It is His work and mission, not ours! We are trying to help him accomplish it!
- Worshiping. Genuine worship is commonplace in services, events, and programs, but more importantly in choices and in life!
- Evangelistic. It is common that conversations revolve around the lost and known across the church that we are here for lost people, just like Jesus was.
- Discipling. Healthy churches find a balance between getting people and growing people
- Transformational relationships. Life friendships are being made. Genuine and honest sharing and doing life together.
- Other obvious things that should be present in every church like prayer, stewardship, exercise of spiritual disciplines, passion for God, the presence and movement of the Holy Spirit, etc.
But, in addition to these staple qualities are other less discussed marks of healthy church culture, that are all biblically based as well, such as:
- Commitment to the vision/purpose of the church.
- Trust and submission to leadership.
- Willingness to confront and live Matthew 18...engaging in honest and healthy church conflict.
- Openness to correction as iron sharpens iron.
- Willingness to risk and experiment with new things.
- Openness to change.
- Small things can make a big difference and short glimpses and first impressions can last a long time!
- Irrelevance is irreverence.
- Empower the next generation (even when it scares you).
- Embracing that God deserves excellence. Excellence pleases God and inspires people! (If it is worth doing at all, it is worth doing right!)
- Willing to face the tough topics and talk about the uncomfortable stuff.
- More interested in the lost, the wounded, the hurting and the poor than the found, the full, the wealthy and the healthy.
- Understanding that church is not all about us, but about Jesus, His mission and his heart for the lost.
- Willing to sacrifice my own opinions, comforts and traditions for a greater Godly good.
- Willingness to let go of the "good" old days (yesterday) for a "GREAT" future (tomorrow).
What other ones can you think of that I have not included? What are other descriptors of healthy church culture? Join in with me. Leave a comment.