Kingdom, Kingdom, Kingdom! That very word seems to carry with it some weird connotations and potential baggage. I know that some of you may not really understand this. I barely do either. But, here's the deal. There is no better synonym to describe what Jesus was intending to set up here among us. So, Kingdom it is.
- The kingdom of this world.
- The kingdom of God.
- It is everywhere! Signs of the two kingdoms are everywhere.
- Jesus wants "His Kingdom to come and his will to be done on earth as it is in heaven." It's precisely how he taught he disciples to pray and live...in a way that accomplishes this.
- The beatitudes in Matthew 5 are whack! A new way of thinking. Jesus blesses the things that the world could care less about.
- Then, the sermon on the mount proceeds to lay out a totally opposite way of seeing everything....from money to law to anger to adultery to divorce to vows to revenge to love to......you get the point. The way we live, act and react should be totally opposite of what we see around us. Is it? The answer for me: NO!
- The kingdom of God looks like Jesus. Jesus is the living, breathing, earthly example of the kingdom of God.
- The kingdom of God is opposite most of what we see. Kingdom thinking and living is counter cultural, against the grain, radical, and revolutionary!
Let me close with this for now....