It is quite difficult to figure out where to start. While we were only in Cape Town for about 4 days, our eyes were wide open and our senses were peeked to every detail that we could take in. The lens through which we looked at everything was so different than any other trip we have been on. Because THIS is the land to which God has called us. So, we picked up a lot of details and registered a myriad of emotions and feelings...which will take time to communicate. So, stick with us for a few years.
- Make no mistake, the flight is LONG. About 19 hours in air and about 24 total travel time no mater how you slice it.
- The Cape Town region is simply majestic! See pic below. Never in my life have I seen a more beautiful display of God's creative ability. My best description would be: the Rocky Mountains meet the Caribbean waters meets the Northern California/Oregon Coast meets San Diego weather. In other words: HEAVEN!
- All Nations (the ministry organization that we will be serving with) was impressive. Mainly because the obvious favor and blessing of God on them. In just over 3 years in Cape Town (longer in other countries around the world), they have fantastic campus, over 40 Staff members and are doing powerful ministry in the region. You can see from the moment that you arrive that God is at work blessing this ministry.
- We either met or met with about 15-20 All Nations Staff. In each conversation, we got more of the heart of the mission. It was neat to see how each person is playing to their gifts within the flexible system they have established. They clearly put the bunnies where they hop.
- We were not as sure before, but now we can confidently say that, we will be in school for the first 6 months. We will be a in church planting school (CPx) with 30-50 students from around the world. However, this school will be about 50% teaching and 50% implementation. This will be really cool...to focus 6 months of our hearts and lives into learning more about church planting. This will be relatively new to both of us and I think will really help prepare us for the future.
- From the first day we arrive, we will begin ministering to people in South Africa. While the region contains the greatest beauty we have ever seen, it also contains the greatest poverty and brokenness we have ever seen! See the difference in the pics below. These 2 pictures are taken 10 minutes apart from each other.