This week we dedicated a full day of our CPx training to matters of the heart. A ministry called "Fresh Start" came in walked us through a biblical view of forgiveness helping leaders to admit and release past offenses, hurts and losses. Through the process there were several surprising pearls of forgiveness that I want to share:
- Forgiveness is not a feeling. It is a decision and a process.
- Forgiveness gives up all rights to apologies, explanations, fairness and justice.
- Forgiveness means Jesus is enough and you owe me nothing more.
- Forgiveness is a command and always possible (even if the offender is dead or unwilling). Reconciliation is not always possible...and that is ok.
- Forgiveness does NOT equal trust.
- Forgiveness does NOT mean you forget.
- There is no such thing as "forgiving God" -- he is sinless. It is an authority issue, not a forgiveness issue.
- There is no such thing as forgiving yourself. There is no Biblical example of this. This is more of pride issue and learning surrender to the Lord.