Some notes from the message this morning:
- My parents always said to me… "Son, you can please all the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time."
- Paul knew about this in Galatians 1:10 when he said….. Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
- Read these words of John 12:42-43 by clicking here. It nails it too!
- One of the biggest problems with people-pleasing is that people’s expectations are always changing. As soon as you hit it, it may have changed! But, God’s expectations never change, they are the same yesterday, today, and, and forever. "I am the Lord your God and I changest not!"
- The problem comes when I begin doing what I do in order to please you, in order impress you, instead of pleasing God.
- That, my friend, will stop revival. That will remove God’s hand of blessing…when we begin to do what we do to get “attaboys” from people instead of God.
The symptoms of the Disease to Please:
You might be a people pleaser if…
1. Frequently comparing yourself to others
2. Asking the wrong questions
- Which of these 2 questions do you ask more often?
- “What will God think?”
- “What will they think?”
- Becoming obsessed with what people think about me is the quickest way to forget what God thinks about me.
3. Using deception and making excuses
- You obsess with covering you butt because you just cannot stand the thought of someone being displeased with you.
4. Regularly boasting
- Proverbs 27:2 Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips.
- It is far more impressive when others notice your good qualities without your help.
5. Poor at accepting criticism
- People pleasers take most criticism personally. Any suggestion feels like a personal attack.
6. Often beat around the bush
- People pleasers find it hard to express their feelings because they have to “please people” and are exceptionally careful to never upset anyone.
7. Can’t say NO
- You'll be surprised; the world will not collapse around you just because you draw a line! People will take offense more rarely than you think.
8. Crippled by fear:
How can I heal from the Disease to Please?
1. Repent – It’s a sin. Admit it. Confess it. Ask for forgiveness. God I want to put your opinion first from now on!
2. Pray – Ask for help.
3. Don’t overcompensate with arrogance
- You can easily react to this disease by becoming belligerent or arrogant. “Ok, well I am tired of pleasing people. The heck with all of them.” That attitude lacks care and is REACTIVE not PROACTIVE!!
4. Protect against YOU pleasing!
- Do not fall into the trap of “ME” centered living. Bible calls that PRIDE!! Secular opinion is do what YOU want and what makes YOU happy. Not so for the Christian! Do what makes GOD happy and you will get more than happiness, you will get JOY!
5. The main medicine to this disease: start pleasing GOD and Fearing GOD!!
- Serve for an audience of One … and your audience will be WON!