We are in the midst of a global discipleship crisis. We have many Christians around the world, see many conversions to faith, but we witness the evidence of too few disciples following after Jesus with their lives. We are committed to discipleship as the key road to fruit that lasts. Following are what we would consider 10 of the most critical values or aspects of discipleship.
1. Jesus builds the church. Disciples make disciples. (Matthew 16 & 28)
2. A Disciple is a knower, lover, follower and obeyer of Jesus Christ. We must be discipled by Jesus like Jesus was discipled by the Father. Jesus is the best discipler and model for us (John 17).
3. We can only reproduce who we are. Discipleship is reproduction. 2 Tim 2:2
4. Self Discovery is far more lasting and powerful than teaching discovery. We must let people discover Jesus in the word and through the church.
5. Discipleship is obedience-based, not knowledge-based. Discipleship is about obedience to Jesus not knowledge about Jesus. (Luke 8:15, 18 & 21, Deuteronomy 6 & 28, Matthew 7, John 14)
6. Discipleship starts before conversion. Starts with those far from God. We disciple people toward faith, not after they come to faith. God speaks to and calls pre-believers! (Examples include Samuel in 1 Samuel 3:1-19, Abraham in Genesis 12:1-3. Paul in Acts 9:1–9 and The disciples in John 1:35 - 50.
7. Discipleship = intentional relationship for Jesus. 1 Thess 2:8 // Who are you discipling? Who is discipling you?
8. Discipleship can happen in small (1 on 1), medium (several people) and large environments (worship gatherings and teachings). Discipleship can happen ALL THE TIME-- Public and Private.
9. Discipleship is a journey, not a destination. There is no box to be in or finish line to cross. You're never in, out, or done. Every disciple starts with bad doctrine and moves toward right doctrine. Your posture matters more than your proximity.
10. Discipleship is costly. Luke 9:23. There will be suffering and sacrifice as part of the journey.