Christian Smith and Melinda Lundquist Denton in their recent book, Soul Searching discuss the results of an extensive survey of the religious beliefs of American teenagers. Smith and
- A God exists who created and orders the world and watches over human life on earth.
- God wants people to be good, nice, and fair to each other, as taught in the Bible and by most world religions.
- The central goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself.
- God does not need to be particularly involved in one’s life except when God is needed to resolve a problem.
- Good people go to heaven when they die.
I have one question for you to ponder after reading this:
How/from whom/where did these teens develop these beliefs?
If you said "their parents", then we agree!
We have our work cut out for us, church.