Thruthfully, even though we moved across the world in part to explore simple/organic/house church stuff, I always had a bit of a skeptics eye. I mean, I spent 30 years in real church. Ya know, the legitimate kind with all the bells a whistles a church should have. So, the idea of 5 or 10 people sitting in a living room being a church was a tad awkward to me. A tad weird. A little cheesy.
Well, off we went and here we are. We are starting Discovery Bible Studies, planting simple churches and our family is a part of a house church with other staff and families at All Nations.
Let me tell you a little about our cheesy house church:
- There are about 7 adults, 7 kids.
- We meet weekly.
- We change the time and location just about every week. It is mobile and flexible.
- We talk and text almost daily.
- We swim, play, eat, travel, shop and hike together.
- We are in intentional discipling relationships with each other.
- We give each other rides and share our cars.
- We confess and cry together.
- We wacth each other's kids.
- We pray for each other.
- We are talking about doing a vacation together.
- We prohecy over each other.
- We speak God's heart for each other over one another.
- We will spend two hours loving on one person if that is the Lord's agenda for the night.
- No one is in charge. No one is the leader.
- But somehow every time, Jesus uses someone different to lead us.
- Our kids are incolved in some special way every time we meet. 2 weeks back we acted out a story in the Bible. Last week we made prayer houses over each kid one by one and prayed and prophecied over them. They only last about 15 minutes. Then we release them to go "fellowship" kids style.
- We talk, dream and live mission.
- We warn and caution each other.
- We worship together.
- We share the Lord's supper. The kids too.
- We anoint each other with oil. The kids too.
- It is different every week.
- Jesus is clearly and boldly the head.
- We eat.
- We eat.
- And we eat.
So, that is some of what our cheesy house church is all about. Our cheesy house church is one of the most meaninful community experiences I have ever had in my life. I am officially a fan of cheesy house churches.